Thursday, September 28, 2006

LIFE?!?


Somehow, someway, the Phils won in extras last night 8-7 over the Nats. The long lost Fidel Castro even got the save in the bottom of the 14th. As evidenced by a prior post, yours truly gave up on them and went to bed. I didn't find out they won until this morning, which was pretty nice way to start the day.

Anyhow, I spent most of the night watching the game and trading text messages with my main man, Johnny Gold. Here were some of the high lights:

During the 7th when the Phils started their comeback:

Philly Sports Phan: Did that error give them life?
Johnny Gold: I don’t know, but it gave me life!
Philly Sports Phan: Life Indeed!
Johnny Gold: Woohoo!

In the 7th when Cholly brought in Madson to face Soriano:

PSP: I am nervous…NOT MADSEN

In the top of the 9th:

PSP: Howard is a horrible baserunner
JG: Stick that a** out – I hate Burrell
PSP: Delucci=Burrell=Useless

In the bottom of the 9th:

JG: Gordon can go F*&K himself!
JG: It’s one effing inning – f&*k him
PSP: Nice job a hole
PSP: These guys kill me
JG: I’m turning them off - they are dead to me

In the top of the 10th:

PSP: Holy Sh*t! (after the Nunez double knocked in a run)
JG: I’m watching. I lied

In the bottom of the 10th:

PSP: Ugh, Geary
JG: Effin Dodgers won’t lose now
JG: If they lose this game, I’m done. I hate heartless teams and players
JG: F*&k them in their c*$nts – Pu**y Pr*cks
PSP: This is ridiculous. I’m going to bed.
JG: I can’t believe this

Then my brother in law checked in:

Big Dan: I need a ride to the hospital. I have Phillies fever, but not in a good way.
PSP: Relax, T.O.

After these last couple nights, I now see why wild card teams have traditionally had success in the post season. They basically start their playoffs two weeks earlier. As they fight to get in, they are playing quasi-playoff games that are tension filled and players need to come up big in tight spots just to win enough games to qualify for the dance. When these teams get to the playoffs, the pressure they'll see is old hat. These guys are battle scarred already and better suited to perform up to the level of the moment. That's why I really see the Mets losing in the first round of the playoffs. As Conlin pointed out this week, the Mets haven't played a meaningful game since 8/17 when they had to save face and take the final game of a four game series with the Phils.

Since the Dodgers keep on winning so the Phils remain a game down, the Phils take the field tonight in their latest must win with Lieber on the mound against some guy who is 3-8 with 5.04 ERA. Translation: we should role, but these are the Nats, so you never know.

Buckle up, folks. The next four days could be bumpy.

4 comments:

George said...

Why do the Nationals wear black spikes instead of red ones? They have no black in their uniforms. I never understood that.

Philly Phan said...

Thank you for the nonsequitor, but you bring up an interesting point. I kind of like the black cleats. I've always thought that the colored cleats in baseball were kind of faggido.

I do not like the fact that the Nats wear the same color of red as us...They are in the same division, they should have gone with more of a scarlet instead...or better yet, a whole different color altogether

Philly Phan said...

Good point...lets end that conversation right there

George said...

I like the spikes that match.