Monday, January 08, 2007

Long Strange Night For PSP


When it comes to my Birds, many of you know that I am incredibly superstitious. I've worn the same clothing during win streaks. (I will not touch my McNabb jersey, as I was wearing it the day #5 tore his ACL and put the season in jeopardy). I can just about remember where I've watched every big Eagles game in the last two decades in order to avoid watching games at places that didn't bring the best of luck.

Plus, I try to watch big games with just about the same crew of people. I understand their quirks as a Birds phan, and they understand mine. Sure, it's become harder to catch the games together as we're all married now and most have children, but when it's time to knuckle up for a big Birds game, we get the band back together. My crew includes:
  1. The Captain: The Biggest Eagles Homer this side of Merrill Reese;

  2. Johnny Gold: One half of Doom and Gloom with yours truly. Johnny quits on this team about 74 times a season...and that's when they are making a playoff run;

  3. Mister Nascar: A huge Cowboys fan and Eagles hater....Why do we watch the games with him? I'm not sure. He tempers our enthusiasm most of the game and puts down the entire Eagles' franchise at every turn. It's kind of like watching the game with old time WWF heel announcer Bobby "The Brain" Heenan. However, he gets into incredibly heated, but enjoyable arguments with The Captain, really knows football and just generally makes things more fun despite his hatred for the Birds; and

  4. Big Daddy Chad: Mister Nascar's brother is pretty quiet for most of the game, but Chad is the master of the dry, seriously funny one liner when no one is expecting it to loosen the tension of big games.
In addition to my Eagles' superstitions, I think most of you also know that I'm a huge fan of the show "My Name Is Earl" and believer of the whole karma thing that show promotes. Tonight, I really tempted fate, karma, juju, etc. and if the Birds had lost, you could have all blamed me.

Here's the story....Sunday was my father in law's birthday and my mother in law decided to have "The Wife" and I over for a little dinner for him during the game. Since he has a huge big screen, we were ensured that we wouldn't miss a second of the game. You're all probably saying "what's the big deal? You weren't going to miss the game!" Normally, that would be the case, but since yours truly, the Birds, and the Kelly house at 6 Hartford Circle are all involved, a history lesson is needed.

The first time I ever watched any moment of an Eagles' game at my in laws was back on October 7, 2001. The Birds promptly lost a heartbreaker that day to the Arizona Cardinals as Jake Plummer threw a desperation TD pass on one of the last plays of the game. I knew right then and there that this house was cursed and I should never watch another game in these premises as the karma just ain't there for me. Before today, I had only watched one other game there....the final game of the 2003 season, which the Birds did win 31-7, but the consequences of this game ultimately ended their season as Westbrook was lost for the year due a triceps injury.

Taking this prior history into account, I still decided - against my better judgment - to celebrate may father in laws birthday by heading over to their house for the second half of tonight's game. I had watched the first half with the usual crew and when I left, the Birds were up 17-10 and looking like they were ready to go on a run to put the game away. I got a ton of grief from the crew, but I wanted to see my father in law and enjoy my mother in law's veal saltimbuca.

Well, as soon as I got there, I could tell this wasn't a great decision. The Birds couldn't get out of their own way for most of the second half and the defense started to loosen, allowing the G Men to tie the game.

As soon as the G Men tied the game, I made my decision. I had seen enough. 6 Hartford Circle had beaten me. I hightailed it out of there and drove back to Mister Nascar's to salvage victory for our Birds, or I don't think I would have been able to look myself in the mirror for the entire offseason.

I think we can all agree. I made the right call. As soon as I left, the Birds drove right down the field, eventually winning the game on David Akers' 38 yard field goal as time expired.

Here's the catch. I did not see any of the last five minutes of the game. As I pulled up to Mister Nascar's, Akers field goal had just split the uprights. In any event, I still feel good about my decision. I sacrificed my own viewing pleasure of the game to sacrifice for the good of the Birds. I feel much better. I will sleep well tonight.

Of course, there may be some of you out there, including my wife and in laws who think I am absolutely crazy, but I disagree. I knew exactly what I was doing. You can all thank me later.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

tony d, WOW..I didn't know you were that fucked up!!

Farrell

Anonymous said...

I am glad they won, but again I must stress that they didn't ask you to suit up play in the game. You neither helped them win or God forbid, helped them lose (which I am thankful the later did not happen).

The way they play is not determined by where you watch the game. I know you are a big fan, but the fate of the game does not rest on your shoulders.

I do think you are crazy, but that is why I married you wacko. Our baby Philly Sports Phan better not get your obsessive compulsive stuff when it comes to watching games.

What is going to happen this weekend with everyone together at the Captains watching the game? Aren't you guys just tempting fate!?!

George said...

R.I.P. NASCAR's Bobby Hamilton Sr. He was one of the good ole' boys of racing.

Anonymous said...

"wife" Know your role, what we do does tempt fate and can affect the outcome of games. DUH, women done't get it.

Jon1BSP said...

Oh Jackie, I thought after having been with T this long, you might understand why we guys think the way we do.

No, we don't put the pads on, but we do often suit up, and the Football Gods know this.

There is such a thing as Karma. We dare not tempt it.

Except where the Flyers are concerned. They're beyond help right now.

Philly Phan said...

Thanks for having my back, fella

Anonymous said...

I still think you are all crazy. I hope that they win this week even though we are breaking routine. Also, I have taken my own poll from the females....and all but one agree that you men are all crazy!