Sunday, January 21, 2007

PSP's Quick Hitter Thoughts From Championship Weekend

Let's start with the NFC Championship game, which the Bears won going away.
  • I hated the Saints' game plan. It didn't seem to me that they ran the ball enough, especially during the possession that ended in game changing safety.

  • Move over Tony Eason, David Woodley, and Trent Dilfer, you're no longer the worst QB's to ever start a Super Bowl. Here comes Sexy Rexy.

  • That was the best game the Bears played in about two months.

  • As good as the Bears pass rush was, the Saints' secondary was just as brutal. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rod Hood and/or Michael Lewis end up in N'Awlins next year.

  • That Reggie Bush fella is pretty good, huh?

  • The Joe Horn injury finally caught up to the Saints.

  • The turf at Soldier Field was atrocious. The Linc's field looks like hell, but we did not see people slipping all over the place in the Giants playoff game like today's NFC Championship Game.

  • I will try to say something nice about the Bears....I like the way they run the ball and their speed on defense. That's all I can say.

  • Wait...almost forgot, that was a hell of a catch by Berrian to pretty much put the game away for the Bears.



On to the thrilling AFC Championship Game, which the Colts won to finally put Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy into the Super Bowl.

  • Asante Samuel is a helluva a cornerback.

  • I really thought the game was done after Samuel's interception return for a td. The Colts could have quit right there and then. Give them a ton of credit for continuing to fight.

  • I also like Dungy's call to get some points on the board before the half. Some knuckleheads would have panicked and went for it on 4th down before the end of the first half.

  • Admittedly, I gave up on the game. I started watching Artie Lange's Beer League for the second time, but was alerted that the Colts were making a game of it.

  • Peyton Manning, Tony Dungy and the Colts deserved to win this game.

  • Don't overlook the importance of the third down play Bob Sanders made that forced the Pats to punt with 2:27 left. That play was HUGE.

  • I really dislike Jabar Gaffney.

  • I know this has been pointed out in a Sports Guy column, but Reche Caldwell's "cocaine addict" looking eyes are really spooky. However, as my boy Johnny Gold pointed out, as big as his eyes are, they didn't help him catch the ball.

  • As Tom Brady walked off the field after throwing the game ending INT, all I could think of was that scene in Rocky IV when Drago finally showed a weakness and Rocky opened up a gash over his eye. I immediately thought of the line from Apollo's former trainer, Duke, to Rocky: "You see? You see? He's not a machine, he's a man, he's a man!"

  • Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are scum bags. You've won for so long, you can show a little class in defeat. I thought Belichick's post game comments were pretty Bobby Knight-esque. Plus, where the hell did Tom Brady run off to after the game? He could have shook the hand of a long time rival, as Manning has done several times over the last few years.

Overall, we were left with one great game and one dud. I really expected the Saints to show up and play better, but oh well....

At this point, I'm not real excited about the prospects of watching Rex Grossman in a Super Bowl, but so is life. I suppose the next two weeks of 24/7 Super Bowl coverage will brainwash me into caring.

2 comments:

George said...

Congratulations to Glassboro's Gary Brackett on making it to the Super Bowl with the Colts.

Philly Phan said...

Funny...I didn't see you congratulate G Boro's George Johnson for making the Texas Bowl.

BTW, I congratulate Gary Brackett of RUTGERS UNIV