Thursday, January 11, 2007

Say It Ain't So, Joe


By now you've all heard about Joe Banner's comments in today's Inky. In case you missed it, here are the excerpts causing all the fuss:

The fans' reaction to Lurie bothers Banner, who also would not rank among the region's most popular people even though he has helped produce a consistent winner.
"I have to tell you, that's personally frustrating to me in a public-relations sense," Banner said. "I know this is controversial, but I don't think there's another owner who would have kept this team in Philadelphia for the economic deal we got on our stadium.

"I'm not trying to belittle the public contribution, but as it relates to what other cities did and other offers we had from other cities, I can't imagine many owners that would have come from someplace else and had the kind of loyalty that he demonstrated to these football fans and this city and the history of the franchise. I don't think anybody recognizes that. I don't think anybody thinks of that."
Seriously, were these comments necessary? We're on a roll, Joe. Shut your mouth and know your damn role. I think there are some beans in the office that need counting.

Plus, the whole tone of this article seems way too self congratulatory for a team that is only in the 2nd round of the playoffs. We haven't won a damn thing yet, Jeff and Joe. Can we please just wait until we get to the Super Bowl before we start genuflecting to each other?

4 comments:

St. Joe's Nick said...

I have to chime in on this too.

Why is it so important for Lurie to be loved in this city? Just because you are a fan of the team doesn't mean you have to love the ownership.

Look at the Phillies. Is there anybody in their right mind who loves Dave Montgomery and his merry band of misfits? You may be a fan of the Phils, but who could love their owners after all of the horrible decision making and losing?

Banner's comment infuriated me along with the rest of the Eagles fans around here. I feel real bad that Lurie isn't loved. I'm sure he is crying in his Dom Perignon right now. You'll get over it, Jeff when you go and buy yourself something else with the $500 Billion that you have in your bank account.

Two words...Bite me.

Philly Phan said...

Nicely done, Nick....how's the wife feeling? When is her due date again?

St. Joe's Nick said...

Not trying to step on your toes or anything, Phan. Just had to vent my frustrations too.

My sports wife is doing pretty well. She is tired a lot, but for the most part is feeling good. She is due on 2/17, although I think she's going to have the kid earlier.

Philly Phan said...

Damn...I should have read your comments before I picked 2/22 on the baby pool!

Not stepping on my toes...I love the great input as always!