Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Shawn Andrews' Interesting Take on Weight Gain


I got a chuckle out of the bolded comment in this excerpt from this intesting ESPN.com article on Shawn Andrews:

Philadelphia's first-round choice in 2004 and the 16th player selected overall, Andrews looked promising his rookie season. He earned the starting job at right guard with an impressive training camp on a Super Bowl-caliber team. But his first season ended after just one game when he suffered a fractured fibula in his right leg against the Giants.

"Someone fell on my leg from behind and I just heard a snap and had this warm feeling," Andrews recalled. "I just thought, 'Wow, there goes my year.' Part of me said 'uh-oh,' because I never had an injury of that caliber before."

He quickly dropped 12 pounds after the injury. The broken leg prevented Andrews from being able to get up and eat regularly. "Once I was back on my feet," he said, laughing, "I was able to get back to my cheesesteak places, and I put the weight back on again and then some."

Somehow, I don't think I'd have the initial weight loss success if I suffered a similar injury. However, I'm quite impressed with how quickly Andrews found a favorite cheesesteak place in his rookie year. Nicely done, Big Kid.

3 comments:

George said...

People call these fat slob offensive linemen athletes because they are huge and can block somebody but they won't call a NASCAR driver an athlete?

Philly Phan said...

Dude...Shawn Andrews is more of an athelete than anyone on the Nascar Circuit

St. Joe's Nick said...

I guess because I drive my car to work every day, that makes me an athlete too.

It's hard work to shift from 1st to 2nd. Not to mention steering. That takes skill.