Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Freddy Garcia A Phil!


I guess I should do some fact checking before I post something, huh? No sooner did I post the Lieber article and add a tidbit about the Phils not being able to make a move when I read the following:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Chicago White Sox traded right-hander Freddy Garcia to the Philadelphia Phillies on Wednesday night for Gavin Floyd and a player to be named.

White Sox manager Kenny Williams let slip during the announcement at baseball's winter meetings that the "player to be named" is pitcher Gio Gonzalez.

The deal reconnects Garcia with his former general manager from Seattle, Pat Gillick, who has been working to upgrade the team's pitching staff. Gillick had also been looking for a right-handed bat to protect NL MVP Ryan Howard, but said he didn't expect to find one and turned his attention to the pitching staff.

Garcia was 17-9 with a 4.53 ERA for Chicago last season.

"The Chicago White Sox are still open for business," Williams said.

Floyd was 4-3 with a 7.29 ERA in 11 starts for the Phillies last season before being optioned to Triple-A on June 3.

"I think Gavin's going to be a little bit of a late bloomer," Phillies assistant GM Mike Arbuckle said.

Gonzalez was traded from the White Sox to Phillies in November 2005 as part of the deal that sent Jim Thome to Chicago and Aaron Rowand to Philadelphia.
Sounds like a great deal to me, but I've said the same thing about the Kevin Millwood, Jon Lieber, Andy Ashby, Mike Williams, etc. deals. When it comes to pitching, rarely do things work out to our benefit, but I'm certain that Floyd won't amount to much.

On paper, the Phils now have the best starting rotation in the NL East...or dare I say, the whole NL! Garcia, Myers, Hamels, Moyer, and Eaton is a pretty decent 1-5 in today's MLB. I guess the only question left is what reliever we'll trade Lieber for as this team desperately needs bullpen help, but I'll go to war with starters 1-5.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Christ, you bury the Birds but defend out rotation. Moyer is OLD, Myers a drunk, Hammels a kid, Eaton is hurt, and this guy has lost 5 mph off his fastball at 30 years old. Plus, we got him for nothing, so what does that tell us.

Now, the bullpen has 2 pieces as I can see. A 7th inning guy w/ Mad Dog, and an 8th inning guy w/ Gordo. We need 1 more to close or set up until Gordo gasses in August and a Leftie for the situational thing. That's two pieces but the pen will be fine in my opinion. Like to see Shane start in the OF, and pray we find a 3rd base and Catching solution under the Xmas tree. Still chasing the Mets and Cards, but on the right track.