Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Most Interesting Team In Town


Another day passes at the Winter Meetings and the Phils didn't sign any free agents, nor did they make any trades, but another player got ripped by management.

Hot on the heels of Dallas Green ranting about Pat Burrell yesterday, I found the latest shot across the bow of a Phils player by a high ranking member of management while down at the Winter Meetings. Check out Uncle Cholly's comments from today's Courier Post regarding Jon Lieber's conditioning, or lack thereof:

"He did let himself go, and he knows it. I think probably he's tired of hearing it. Any way that we can get him in shape, we have to try it. From there, it's up to him. He knows how much we need him. We've emphasized how important he is to us. He does play a big role for our team. He came along in the second half, but he had that slow start. I don't know if it was conditioning. We didn't score many runs for him in some games either. But that slow start, I don't know, it might translate into being in shape. We've talked quite a bit to him. I think Liebs wants to contribute. Even if he decides, once his contract is up, that he doesn't want to stay in the game, I think he wants to finish on a good note."

While I have to admit I did get a pretty good chuckle out of these comments, I'm on to the Phils' clever little ruse. I thinking that Monty, Gillick and the boys got together this week and figured that if they couldn't make any moves to the get the phan base excited, they would distract us by issuing all these uncharacteristic, but entertaining statements. For me, it is working. At this rate, I'm half expecting to open the paper tomorrow and read comments from Pat Gillick indicating he can't make a deal because Rowand "is always injuring himself because he plays like a reckless idiot" and Gavin Floyd "needs to take off the skirt, grow up and start pitching like a man".

And I thought the hot stove league did not exist here in Philly. Boy, was I wrong.

No comments: