Monday, December 11, 2006

Hollow Win


While I must apologize for once again being a day late with my Eagles' analysis, I have to admit that I wanted an extra day to let yesterday's 21-19 win over the 'Skins sink in and see if I could talk myself into feeling a bit better about it. After much reflection, I couldn't find a whole lot to get excited about. I still feel pretty hollow after this victory. The Birds got me believing that they were ready to make a push for the division by toying with the 'Skins in the 2nd quarter and then quickly got into bad habits throughout the rest of the game and almost allowed the 'Skins to steal the game. Thank God the Daniel Snyder forgot to wake up Joe Gibbs for the game, because if they had their head coach around, they might not have blown all their time outs before the two minute warning and spared us further agony.

On the bright side, somehow the Birds control their own destiny in the NFC East. If they win out, the NFC East is theirs. However, if you think winning their last three, including the next two on the road against the G Men and the Cowboys, is a possibility, then you, my friend, are much more positive than me and likely need to move out of Negadelphia.

I love what Jeff Garcia is doing for the offense. I really do. I just can't get past how horrible the defense is. The porous run defense was on display again as someone named Ladell Betts ran for 177 yars. More alarmingly, the coverage had some leaks as well and let a QB in his 4th NFL start make some big plays down the field. Thankfully, the defense tightened up when it had to and got two big plays out of rookie, Omar Gaither - who has made more plays in two games than Dhani and McCoy have made all year - and Michael Lewis - who shook off the rust and looked pretty spry streaking down the sideline with a second quarter TD interception return.

Who knows, maybe it's just the state of the NFL these days. The Boys' D got trounced on Sunday night by the Saints and the Colts looked like Baylor University playing against those old Barry Switzer Oklahoma Sooners' wishbone offenses of the 70's and 80's. The Pats had trouble with Joey Harrington and the 'Phins. Even the Bears gave up 27 to the Rams tonight. However, at least those teams have shown they can stop a team from time to time. Our Birds haven't stopped anyone since the first Redskins game, which is tough to count since it was in a rain storm.

As a result, I'm still skeptical, but I still think the Birds can make the playoffs at 8-8 if they beat Ron Mexico, his STD's and the Falcons on New Year's Eve. Yes, I'm finally showing a little positivity. I hope that appeases my main man, the Captain. After all my criticism of late, I woke up to find a fish wrapped in newspaper on my front step. I think he's trying to send a message.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a big task this coming week. Sacked Manning 8 times in week 2 and still found a way to lose. We need to improve on all sides and hope the G=Men make some mistakes to just have a chance.

St. Joe's Nick said...

Hollow wins don't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling this holiday season.

It's going to be a long winter once the Eagles are done. They won't make the playoffs this year, and if they do, they will lose on Wild Card Weekend. The Sixers & Flyers just plain suck.

How many days until pitchers & catchers report for the inept Phils?