Monday, December 18, 2006

Me and The Sports Guy Share a Brain!


For years, me and my buddy Mr. Nascar have argued over the type of players the Sixers should have surrounded AI with. Mr. Nascar was fine with Larry's approach of surrounding AI with a bunch of pluggers that would only play defense and rebound. I on the other hand had a much grander plan. I was very specific on the type of players the Sixers needed. Of course, Larry and Billy King never found the necessary pieces to catapult to the Sixers to the next level.

I have fostered resentment towards the franchise for failing to obtain the pieces I perceived as so vital to any potential success for our 76ers. However, I did get a bit a satisfaction this past Friday when I read the Sports Guy's latest mailbag. When asked about the perfect pieces to compliment to AI, it was if he was reading from my Sixers manifesto. Bill Simmons opined the following:

SG: You'd need a shot-blocking center who could protect him on the defensive end, handle the boards, set picks and not care if he doesn't get a ton of shots (like Emeka Okafor). You'd need a big point guard who could bring the ball up (allowing Iverson to play like a 2-guard), make open 3-pointers and defend 2-guards on the other end (like Shaun Livingston, only if he had a reliable outside shot). You'd need a small forward who couldn't be left alone from 3-point range (like Rashard Lewis). And you'd need a power forward who could protect the rim, score on the low post, set picks and run the floor (like Elton Brand). That's the most ideal situation possible. Out of the current teams, the Clippers come the closest because they already have Brand and Livingston. Anyway, intriguing question.
Bill Simmons knows basketball. Since we share the same exact opinion on a basketball topic, then I, by the transitive property of equality, know basketball. Please give me my props. My sports versatility knows no bounds.

No comments: