Friday, December 01, 2006

Random Thoughts As We Head Into the Weekend

Missing Person Alert: Pat Gillick – Where is our G.M.? Seriously, where is the guy? All the major free agents have been plucked from the market and all we have to show for the yearly Fall shopping spree is journeyman Wes Helms, the injury prone Adam Eaton and maybe Joe Borowski, if our front office can convince themselves that they can get at least 20 appearances out of him before he tears his labrum.

These signings are akin to when you were kid and received a Christmas Card with no money inside. After opening the card and making this shocking discovery, I would always be left thinking….”Really, is this all there is? Surely, there must be something more to this gift, right???” Come on, Gillick! Is this all you have planned to improve a team that fell 2 games out of a playoff spot last year and has holes bigger than the ones Joseph Addai ran through against Eagles defense Sunday night. You must have something up your sleeve…right? Please tell me you do!

Anyhow, just to be safe, I think we should check the local nursing homes and intensive care units. Maybe our Senior Citizen GM has fallen ill or something.

In any event, I last put out an A.P.B. on a Philly GM this summer when Clarkie slept through the summer free agent frenzy. We all know what happened there. I hope we don’t have another burnout victim here as the Phils could be blowing a golden opportunity to steal this city while the Birds muddle their way through another losing season.

Although, I think I might be setting my sites a bit too high. As my buddy Jorge told me:

The Phillies will never win in any situations where there is more than one team interested in a player. Other teams always make better offers than the Phillies. In the case of Helms and Eaton, I don’t think there was any other strong interest.
You know what? Jorge is right. Why I fooled myself into thinking any different with this front office’s history was down right stupid.

The Army Navy Game – I know most people here could give a crap, but I really love the fact that this game is played in our backyard. I love the pageantry and tradition of this game and would hate to see it leave. It’s like Philly’s own Bowl Game. I wish more people embraced it here in the city. I guess most people have a hard time getting up for mediocre football…unless it’s being played by our beloved Birds.

Rutgers – West Virginia – Rutgers is playing for a BCS Bowl Game…Repeat…Rutgers is playing for a FREAKIN’ BCS Bowl Game!!!! I’m still having a hard time wrapping my mind around this concept as I still have memories of scores upon scores of blowouts over the past 10 years, but it appears those days are over as my Scarlet Knights are heading down to Morgantown West Virginia to play the #15 ranked Moutaineers. If they win, they clinch their first ever Big East Championship!

I have yet to hear a single member of the media pick the Scarlet Knights, who happen to be a 10 point dogs and have never in their 137 years of playing organized football beaten WVU in Morgantown. I kind of like the disrespect. I’m sure Schiano is using that to get Rutgers psyched up. Over the past 4 years, RU has gotten closer and closer to actually playing on a level playing field with these guys. I think this is the year that RU kicks in the door and pulls the upset.

I see the Knights controlling the line of scrimmage on offense and their newly found passing game opening things up a little more for Ray Rice. On defense, the Knights are lucky that Mountaineer QB Pat White is hobbling on a bad ankle because that helps their efforts tremendously. Frankly, White and RB Steve Slaton scare the absolute sh*t out of me, but I think we’ll get enough stops to win the game. I see a 30 to 27 historic victory for the Knights. If this happens, you won’t hear from me over New Year’s because I’ll be in Miami for the Orange Bowl!!!

Flyers vs. Devils – Yes, it looks like the Flyers are turning a corner. Yes, they may have ridded themselves of their worst player…BUT, can they beat their long time nemesis? I say not a chance, but I still feel good about how the O&B are playing all the sudden.

Dexter – I know…..I’m probably the only person that reads this site that has Showtime, but I can’t wait to see this week’s episode. Judging from the previews, it should be fantastic! The Ice Truck Killer looks to have struck again! Watching a great show like this is a wonderful way to end the weekend.

Have a good weekend everyone

1 comment:

George said...

What kills me about the Phillies is that they jack up ticket prices for the new stadium in 2004, don't win, then jack up the prices again for 2006, then cut payroll and start acting like a small market team again. The Cubs play in ancient Wrigley Field with no cushy luxury boxes to sell. Did that stop them from signing Soriano? No, because they want to win back their city after a losing season.