Wednesday, December 27, 2006

TOP 5 SPORTS MOVIE OF ALL TIME


I caught "We Are Marshall" tonight. I was flat out blown away and totally endorse this movie as one you should all see. It immediately moved into my sports movie top 5 along with Slapshot, The Natural, Raging Bull and Hoosiers.

I was aware of the basic facts surrounding the 1970 plane crash that killed 75 Marshall University players, coaches, and fans, but I had no idea about how the football program rose from the ashes to play the very next season. I'm sure there was some literary license taken from time to time, but the scene with Bobby Bowden when he was with West Virginia was phenominal.
There were so many goose bump moments, I lost count. Additionally, there were some outstanding performances, including the one turned in by the kid that played Marshall defensive back, Nate Ruffin. Matthew Fox (aka Charlie from Lost and Party of Five) was pretty damn good in this movie as well. The only thing I didn't really care for was Matthew McConaughey's performance, but he did deliver maybe the best pep talk ever captured on film before the climatic game.

Wow, I'm full of hyperbole tonight, huh?


Seriously, go check this novie out. You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great movie! Got agree with you honey, on the Matt M. being a little annoying in the movie. But he is still hot. I didn't care for the Nate Ruffin character as much as you did. He looked like he was 40 years old supposedly playing a college football player. What is that about?