Tuesday, December 26, 2006

“Hi, My Name Is Tony And I Was Wrong About This Team”


As you all have seen from my many posts on this site, after McNabb went down for the year, I gave up on this team altogether. I think you all will admit, I was far from the only one. I, like most of the national and local media, wrote them off. The Birds’ current 4 game winning streak has shown me that I have no clue what the hell I was talking about. I thought when they were sitting at 5-6, the Birds would be lucky to win one more game. Thankfully, I was wrong.

As I sat here thinking about this team today, I figured that if you take two plays away from this season - Michael Lewis failing to fall on that fumble in the first Giants game; and Matt Bryant’s 62 yard field goal to beat the Birds in Tampa - the team would be 11-4 right now and I’d be viewing their chances for playoff success a whole lot differently. Basically, the Birds are two flukey plays away from a whole lot of people considering them this year’s favorites in the NFC.

Once you couple how well the Eagles are playing right now with the current state of the NFC, there is a decent shot that this team may actually end up in Miami. Wow, that is pretty scary, huh? I’m just ecstatic that this team proved me wrong. It may have been the best Christmas present I received this year.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think everyone other than a few of the 53 guys on the team and a coach or two thought this was over. After McMahon last year the organization addressed the backup QB position and its worked out better than anyone could imagine. I'm most happy that this team obviously resembles the teams from '00-'04 not the '05 team that suffered from TO abuse and the Super Bowl blues. The Seahawks have are lucky to make the playoffs as a 4th seed in the worst division in the NFC after their SB appearance.

Stay tuned for the good bad and ugly.

Anonymous said...

The Good:

5-1 in the NFC East this year versus last years 0-6

NFC East title after last years 4th place finish

5th East title in the last 6 years

Not faced with rebuilding the entire roster.

The best most complete safety in my lifetime plays here and wears #20.

The best O Line in Eagles history

Finding of a running game

Brian Westbrook is more important to this team than just any other running back in football

A 5th round middle linebacker that looks pretty good at OLB.

Buckhalter is a medical miracle.

The Bad:

The NFC East still stinks, every coach could be fired or quit and just may.

Gibbs says he's coming back but i believe that helps the Birds.

The G-Men won't play for their coach and thus he needs to go. Good luck coaching that squad. From Eli's daddy to Shockey to Plax add in the NY media and forget it. They need to cut some dead wood or start over.

The Boys aren't dead yet but as predicted after TO made it to turkey day one of them will be gone. It should be TO as he's more aggravation than player at this point. He leads the league in TD's and drops and quotes and foot in mouth. The QB is still an unknown entity. The RB's are a question mark and the Offensive line is old. The secondary is susceptible to the big play and they only have 1 playmaker in their front 7.

The road to the NFC East title still goes through Philly and will for the next few years.

The Ugly:

How many NFC teams have winning records vs. their AFC opponents. ONE, thus the AFC is supremely dominant this year and will be a 7 to 11 point favorite in the Superbowl. Of course, anything can happen in the big game, but really this is not a balanced league from AFC to NFC. There will be some AFC teams that do not make the playoffs that would have won a division title in the NFC West or South.

This message will self distruct if the Eagles fail to beat the stinking Falcons on New Years eve..

Philly Phan said...

The Good, the Bad and The Ugly...Is this Erik Kuselias of ESPN Radio?

Anonymous said...

"Hi, my name is John and I was wrong about this team too"

Philly Phan said...

Johnny Gold, Welcome to the Eagles Bandwagon Jumpers Anonymous

Anonymous said...

I think i pulled my back trying to get back on the wagon, but alas, I made it back on. The next few weeks should be a lot of fun if nothing else.

Anonymous said...

BY THE WAY . . . PSP said . . . "The Birds’ current 4 game losing streak clearly shows that I had no clue what the hell I was talking about." Wiser words were never written . . . considering we are in a 4 game winning streak not a losing streak. Sorry, I just had to point this out.

Philly Phan said...

Thanks, Jones...I really need an editor or I could just start paying closer attention to what I write.

George said...

To borrow a line from Pulp Fiction..... Let's not start sucking each other's *!@^$ just yet. This conference is horrible. Beating other teams within this conference is not impressive. The Colts made this team look like a joke and then went on to lose a bunch of games.