Monday, May 07, 2007

Deserted


Thanks to the predictable disappointing start to the Phils' season, we are smack dab in the middle of the worst time of the year for Philadelphia sports. Currently, the Philly sporting landscape is a virtual desert and we are the proverbial man dying of thirst. What are we to get excited about?

The Eagles' draft is in the rear view mirror with a bogus mini camp up coming, where the media vultures will be out looking for D Mac to take a mistep in the mine field that is the Kevin Kolb situation. The NBA Draft Lottery, which holds the Sixers' hopes for years to come, is a couple weeks away and likely to be an act of futility for what fans are left of that franchise. The Flyers' offseason appears to be promising as the Orange & Black have a lot of salary cap flexibility and tradeable assets, but the draft scheduled for early June will probably net a prospect that will not be ready for three years.

As for the Phils, this deserves another post entirely, but I'm dangerously close to writing off them off...not for just 2007. Forever. I hate this team and despise the ownership/management even more. I've had enough of their act. I hate this organization to its core. (I have now convinced myself. I really need to get more in depth with what I would do if I suddenly had $50 Billion burning a whole in my pocket and could buy the Phils.)

Anyhow, as you can tell from the lack of posts the last couple days, I'm at a loss. There just is nothing to talk about. I'm apparently not the only one. The Daily News and Inky were totally devoid of anything worth reading today. The only thing that has held my interest lately was the Sports Guy's hilarious article about the De La Hoya/Mayweather fight and this exquisite article from a month old issue of SI about the 1957 desegregation of an Arkansas high school that also fielded the best football program in the country. (Another article that is coming is my love for SI, even though it seems to be losing its place with the rest of the populace.)

We are in the middle of a sports waste land and we are begging for someone...anyone to pull us out of it. (By the way, it most certainly will not be Antonio Alfonseca. As I write this, Six Fingers just gave up the lead to the D-Backs. On the bright side, a bunch of Phils' phans out in Arizona just audibly booed Pat Burrell as he came to bat in the Top of the 8th. Gotta love the passion of our faithful.)

4 comments:

st. joe's nick said...

This Phillies team does nothing but irritate me. I swear they are doing it on purpose to annoy the faithful fans of this awful organization.

Unfortunately, until Dave Montgomery sells his portion of the team (along with the rest of the partners in the ownership group), we are going to be stuck with the same crap year after year after year.

Remember, as long as they can consider themselves self-proclaimed "contenders," they will be happy as an organization while the rest of us suffer.

Anonymous said...

Boo hoo, there's nothing to write about b/c this city's teams suck, wah, wah, wah there's little hope, wah, wah, wah, ownership sucks, wah, wah, wah. What I find kinda funny is that you sound a lot like the teams in your blog. Dude, it's your Blog, put up whatever you want. The 5 people that read it will likely continue to do so, just out of shear habit and the fact that the address is bookmarked. I generally enjoy reading and in fact do read most of your posts. Just about everyone knows the Phils aren't going anywhere, the 6'rs will suck for years to come, the Flyers need a ton of things to go right this offseason just to compete to get into the playoffs and the Iggles have a soft QB (leader?) coming off a MAJOR knee surgery that any respected doctor will tell you takes TWO (yes that's right) TWO years to fully come back from. It appears to me your saying, "I throw up my hands and accept defeat." News flash, its been nearly a quarter of a century since our last real championship. Philly teams have sucked time and again and for decades at a time. What’s the point . . . its simple, one endearing quality of a "Philly Sports Phan" is that they NEVER give up hope. Did Andy Dufresne give up hope in the Shawshank Redemption?, did Rocky?, did Vince Papale? For the sake of your unborn child, please don't give up hope now. Besides what other choice is there . . . devote a blog to NASCAR? That would suck almost as much as the Phils middle relief. My suggestion, write about what really moves your world, be it Philly sports, the trials and tribulations of pregnancy, or the world in general. No real Philly stories, well then make one up. Hell that’s what all sportswriters do anyway. But, in no event should you simply give up, to put it in your vernacular, that would make for bad karma.

George said...

I bet if this team somehow gets within striking distance of the wild card that I will see you at the stadium in September.

Philly Phan said...

While I will likely make an appearance, you really need to stop being an apologist for the worst ownership group in Philadelphia history. I hate this franchise, I hate them, I hate them...I HATE THEM.

I know you are a baseball fan, so do yourself a favor and adopt another team. You seem like a Cardinals guy to me.

This ownership group and their lack of results is exactly why D Mac's interview is the big story. People don't care. Ryan Howard is out three games and no one gives a shit. More people in this town were concerned last year when Mike Bartrum (the Eagles' long snapper) went down. The Phils are a joke. I want them out of town. Take the stupid nickname and wussy uniforms with them.