Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Bloggers Gone Wild


I don't want to send all seven of my readers away to other sites, but if you are looking for some other sports blogs to check out, here are a couple of sites I enjoy.

Kissing Suzy Kolber

This guy appears to be a 'Skins fan, but he is the most irreverent sports writer I've come across on the net. He's also one of the funniest. He even had the balls to take on the Genius that is Bill Simmons (aka "The Sports Guy"). I highly recommend this guy. Anyhow, here's a taste of what his site about as he comments about our Birds:

Donovan McNabb
Status: Torn ACL, Out For Year
This will be the third regular season that McNabb has failed to finish in his career. Making matters worse is the fact that the Eagles have a penchant for picking up backup QBs based upon their knowledge of the West Coast offense, and not based upon whether or not they blow. Hence, the 2006 Eagles are the new 2005 Eagles. Yay! Now you Eagle fans get to spend the rest of the season with the fabulous Jeff Garcia at the helm. Garcia has already suggested new fonts and paper stock sizes for the Eagles' playbook. He's also thinking a sort of creamy butter interior for the team's indoor practice facility. That will soften the harshness of the Eagles' future offensive performances.

Oh, and a note to one Andy Reid: Do you think that perhaps throwing the ball 9,000 times a game puts your QB at greater risk than is necessary? Here's an ingenious idea for you, you stupid mustachioed fat tub of shit: RUN THE BALL.

Oh, and all of the Eagles' skill position players have now been rendered useless. Thanks for playing.

Deadspin

Forget ESPN.com. If you are looking for sports news with a funny slant, here's the place to go. I got a kick out of this comment today:

As the holidays draw ever closer, it's time for us to address the serious issues; such as what should we get Barbaro for Christmas?
With Leather

I just found this blog recently, but he has won me over with comments like this:

Steve Slaton, who I once beat in a race to that telephone pole, ran wild on Pitt last night and the Mountaineers cruised to victory in the Big Fight in the Backyard. I was sad for Pitt. Not that I like Pitt, but one of my old girlfriends had a snug vintage Pitt Panthers tee shirt that she wore without a bra. So for me, cheering for Pitt is like cheering for tits.
The Sports Guy

Then there is the king, the aforementioned Bill Simmons. I meant to post this funny Sixers related email from his mailbag:

Q: So, one day last week I see Sixers GM Billy King in a restaurant in Philly. I started thinking "Does he deal with ordering food the same way he signs NBA players?" If he ordered the steak, if it's an OK steak but nothing fantastic, does he offer to pay double or triple the market value for it? Maybe there could be a show where Billy King negotiates car prices for people who stand by dumbfounded as he offers $27,000 for a 1987 Toyota Camry with 167,000 miles.
-- Adam, Philadelphia

SG: I had a sarcastic follow-up joke here ... then I remembered that my favorite baseball team just spent $51.1 million for the right to negotiate a free agent contract for a Japanese pitcher who's represented by Scott Boras. I'll shut up now.

I threw this email from the Sports Guy's latest column because I think it is absolutely hysterical. I truly don't understand the Dane Cook phenomenon, but this fella may be on to something:

Q: I'm 99 percent positive that Randolph and Mortimer Duke recently wagered $1 that they could turn the funniest, most successful stand-up comic into a disturbed bum on the street and turn a random unfunny guy off the street into the hottest comic in the land with TV specials and a feature film. How else can you explain the fall of Dave Chappelle and the rise of Dane Cook? It is the only answer. Looking good Dane Cook! Feeling good Dave Chappelle!
--DeVito, Washington
Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to share this level of writing with you guys. I fear I have exposed myself for the hack that I truly am!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PSP - all other writers' penmanship skills pale in comparison to your creative genius. You are an absolute sports God. All hail PSP.

Anonymous said...

The article was good, but seriously, do we need a big huge picture of Suzie Kolber? She is no Melissa Stark, or whoever the girl you liked from Monday Night Football was.

Philly Phan said...

From one Tony to another, welcome to the board. Something tells me you are being a bit toungue in cheek w/ your compliment. Perhaps you will be the 8th reader of my website.