Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Got Protection?


The Inky reported today that the Phils have a great deal of interest in Washington Nationals Leftfielder, Alfonso Soriano, to bat cleanup and provide right handed protection in the lineup for Ryan Howard and Chase Utley. What's not to like? Last year, Soriano successfully made the move to left field and joined the exclusive 40/40 club. Plus, if we sign the guy, it means bye bye for the Midnight Mayor of Center City, Pat "Please Swing the Bat" Burrell.

The question is....will the Phils pony up the necessary cash to make it happen? I can't see it. With teams like the Cubs involved, I see his salary demands spiraling out of control to the point where Montgomery and the boys get antsy and bow out of the competition.

It's a shame. I think Soriano would have been a perfect compliment. He's battle tested from his years with the Yanks and looking to get back into a winning situation.

Hey, let's hope I'm wrong, but I have strong feeling we're only going to get teased here. I'm not getting my hopes up.

No comments: